Wednesday, February 19, 2014

How to not be a Glassh***

I admit to having been distracted of late, and not as faithful to the Glass beat as much as I like to be. I note, for example, more than a month has passed since my last post here, which is too long, by my standards anyway.

But I have things to report, so keep coming back! First, and thanks to Business Insider's "10 Tech Things You Need To Know This Morning", and their link to a TechCrunch piece this from yesterday, "Google Explains How Not To Be A Glasshole". The article, by Matt Burns, provides some insight while quoting a "Glass do's and don'ts" guide recently released by Google.

The Glass Explorers site, where I have also been missing in action recently, has a post dated February 10 from Glass Guide Teresa Z giving a little more background on the list. Given that is over a week ago, I might expect more of a discussion developing, but not so.

To me, the way people interact with me (or choose to discreetly not interact) is one of the most interesting things about the experience of being a Glass Explorer. And I must admit, the last of the four of the "don'ts" (below) is one I learned the hard way on, at least on one occaison when mine was brand new.

Be creepy or rude (aka, a “Glasshole”). Respect others and if they have questions about Glass don’t get snappy. Be polite and explain what Glass does and remember, a quick demo can go a long way. In places where cell phone cameras aren’t allowed, the same rules will apply to Glass. If you’re asked to turn your phone off, turn Glass off as well. Breaking the rules or being rude will not get businesses excited about Glass and will ruin it for other Explorers.

No comments:

Post a Comment